Skip to main content

(Neuman) Week 3: Hindu Fundamentalism

    I've remained curious about India's religious landscape. Some of my favorite students while teaching the last two years were Hindus and Zoroastrians recently immigrated from India. They had perpetually curious and positive attitudes in my 9th and 10th grade Scripture and Church History classes.  I know many influences from the 60s who traveled to India seeking enlightenment, and recall Thomas Merton writing after visiting India that his trip wasn't necessary after all; he had similar spiritual insights accessible to him at the Abbey of Gethsemani in Kentucky, but foreign cultures bring mystery.  I suspect that for many people, mystery breeds respect and a sense of mysticism whereas "familiarity breeds contempt," and that various modes of spirituality in Eastern religions are available in round about ways within Catholicism.  I also noticed that countless spiritual seekers and pop singers travel to India seeking enlightenment, and I've consistently have had delightful encounters with people of various Eastern religions, like in my students. As our instructors mentioned in class, various faiths, though we seek visible unity, have different charisms to offer - different gifts - and Fr. Santiago's presentation further sparked my curiosity about Hindu and zoroastrian religious dogmas and practices.

        I appreciated hearing Fr. Santiago present Thursday, July 9th on how various eastern religions interact in India. Hinduism, considered an "eternal religion," is 2-3 thousand years older than Christianity and is very tolerant of other faiths partly because it acknowledges many gods, and its primary god is viewed differently by different Hindus, Fr. Santiago shared. Hinduism thus accommodates many viewpoints and ways to pray to God. 90% of Hindus live in India and make up 80% of the population. Hindu relationships with Christian missionaries were initially mutually respectful (Fr. Santiago pointed to the Christian community founded by St. Thomas nearly 2,000 years ago as well as Mateo Ricci's missionary efforts in the 16th century. Ricci is considered the "father of enculturation" as he studied and embraced many aspects of the local culture and attempted to accompany those whom he evangelized.) Interfaith relationships soured with the introduction of more explicitly political colonizing efforts and less tolerant missionary efforts by the Portuguese (Catholic), Dutch (Protestant), French (Catholic), and English (Anglican).

Fr. Santiago presenting on Hinduism and various faiths' relationships in India

Interestingly, Fr. Santiago said that only in recent decades has there been an increase in a less-tolerant Hindu fundamentalism that wants to see India as an officially Hindu country. Twelve Indian states recently adopted "anti-conversion laws," or "freedom of religion bills," so that anyone who is perceived as trying to convert others can be arrested. It doesn't sound too unlike the current "Christian Nationalist" trend occurring in the United States.

Fr. Santiago said that overwhelmingly various faith communities in India interact very peaceably. I appreciate hearing for the first time his analogy that "[half-empty pots make the most noise.]" A full pot -someone sincerely and fully practicing his faith- is peaceable, but the insecure or half-practicing person of faith (hypocrites?), like a half-empty pot whose contents clunk around, make the most noise and embrace fundamentalism.



We spent one day touring the Jewish ghetto in Rome and visiting The Great Synagogue of Rome. The sidewalk in front of some homes in the neighborhood contained gold plaques that shared which residents were kidnapped and deported to concentration camps during the holocaust.


The ceiling of The Great Synagogue of Rome contains a rainbow pattern on the tallest ceiling reminiscent of the rainbow that appears at the end of the story of Noah's Ark. The synagogue contains side balconies where the women pray. The images of menorahs and palm trees on the walls reminded me of the description of cherubim, palm trees, and flowers etched on the walls of the first temple in 1st Kings. The gentleman who provided the tour of the synagogue shared, seemingly proudly, of the time Pope Benedict XVI visited the synagogue in 2010, condemned anti-semitism and mentioned that our faiths share the 10 commandments. Our tour guide also said there was a slight uptick in anti-semitic sentiments/actions in Rome in recent years, but he elaborated very little.



The imam who showed us the Grand Mosque of Rome shared reflections on God that echoed many Christian descriptions of God I've heard; when we take one step towards God, He runs towards us. The imam had a calming presence and was a gracious host answering our questions. The five pillars of Islam, especially the practices of almsgiving, fasting, and pilgrimage, reminded me of Lenten practices. This imam was an articulate and patient ambassador for the religion of peace.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Church (C.Crowe)

 I am someone who has spent most of my life ‘un-churched’. I was raised Roman Catholic, and very involved in my church at university in the late 70’s. I listened to priests who were informed by ressourcement theologians. We were discovering a world of integrity beneath the hierarchies and the aesthetics.  It felt to me like a fresh breeze was blowing through the church. It was no longer something I attended or watched, but something I was engaged in. We chose our prayers with care, we opened our hearts, and we brought our sense of God’s presence into our daily lives. We discussed the Bible during service and baked our own bread for the Eucharist. It was deeply meaningful. But when Pope John Paul II came to the papacy and pulled back on all that openness, I felt betrayed. I felt particularly that women had been shut out. Not by God – but by the church. I never stopped feeling God’s presence in my life, praying for insight and offering gratitude, but my idea of what ‘church’ w...

Week 1 - Christian Enlightenment

Apse Mosaic of St. Paul’s Outside the Wall   As I reflect on Ecumenical and interreligious movements in Rome after having visited Churches dedicated to two great pillars of Christianity : St Paul and St. Peter, the patron saints of Rome, I can only ponder on their remarkable witness to Chrisitanity. Long before modern ecumenical movements, Paul was already living this spirit of unity. Through God's grace, he cultivated dialogue; dialogue to different beliefs and cultures spreading Christianity to the Mediterranean world, a journey which culminated in Rome; Paul resolutely proclaimed Christ and laid the foundations of a universal Church.  Saint Paul Outside the Walls Interestingly, I had the opportunity to visit Malta before beginning this course. What a delight it was to discover its ancient archeology and historical heritage. From megalithic temples of Malta (the oldest in the world) to the Bonze age, Roman rule, Byzantine, Arab, Norman, the Knights of Saint John, Ottomans, F...

Welcome students!

Dean Skira invites you to join the Rome trip 2026 blogspot. This will be the place where you can post your reflections of weekly readings and your experiences during your excursions. The goal is to share your experiences with others in our community and university. Please include your photos and you’re encouraged to respond to each other’s posts.