Skip to main content

(Neuman) Week 2: The Holy Spirit Leads the Way, So Trust

It's difficult to know where to begin. Book-ending each densely-information-packed lecture and tour are similar sentiments that I might share here repetitively. (rather than sharing an exact timeline of the origins of the Anglican Church and every ecumenical gathering between Catholics and Anglicans with their accomplishments up to today)



(Attending mass with Pope Leo XIV for the Feast of Sts. Peter and Paul. An instructor joked having a Jesuit and Dominican in the same class is an act of ecumenical dialogue.)

  Tuesday's class began with a quote from Pope Benedict 16th, regarding ecumenical work, "[we should avoid hermeneutics of continuity as well as hermeneutics of discontinuity.]" I suspect his intent was that we ought to remain open to the Holy Spirit and not enter dialogue with a hidden personal agenda about what unity must look like. "Ecclesiology is not mathematics." As our instructor shared, "If the enemy wants to divide us in death, who are we to prevent unity in life?" And walking together is already a form of unity.

Pope Francis  in Fratelli Tutti (2020) focused on themes of "encounter," "dialogue," and "identity," and shared that time is more important than space. "We don't have to occupy spaces, we have to start processes." 

Pope Francis (simple tomb here in the Papal Basilica of Saint Mary Major) famously instructed pastors to "smell like the sheep" and for ecumenical efforts to "start processes."

Francis also wrote "authenticity is more important than truth" and unity wins over conflict.  In short, ecumenism and increased unity will only be effective if we come to the table in a position of receptivity and with our honest, most authentic thoughts. Neither a position to engage in battle or people-please is helpful. We remember that the unity we have in Christ (with other Christians) is stronger than our divisions, and we begin by listening.  The week's sentiments were also exemplified in a quote by Pope Leo XIV, "The Church is holy not because of our actions but because her head is Christ himself. Our task to live in conformity with him, not to shape the Church in our own image." Even if the Catholic Church's goal is Visible Unity, recognition of the Bishop of Rome, only Christ converts hearts; we should dialogue and trust.


(Our primary classroom is older than the U.S., about 400 years old with an enormous ceiling fresco of Lady Wisdom)

On Wednesday, we heard a succinct but relatively thorough history of the Anglican Church's origins with its key players, like John Henry Newman's conversion to Catholicism.  Since the Edinburgh conference of 1910, Anglican Bishops have discussed "reunification with Rome without being subsumed into the Roman Church." (class notes) The ecumenical process is complex, but we ought to keep walking with one another in good faith. Whatever exactly unification looks like is, again, is up to the Holy Spirit. We only ought to keep walking together focused on our unity in Christ, continuing discussion in good faith. Interestingly, Vatican II stated that the Catholic Church distinguishes the Anglican Church from other protestants and it "occupies a special place" partly because Henry VIII didn't seek to change much theology when breaking from the Catholic Church. (Beliefs in common include some views on the Eucharist, a notion of the Holy Spirit as ultimate authority over the Church, recognition of a local and universal church, etc.)

The 2015 document "Walking Together on the Way" acknowledges that new obstacles to visible communion include women's ordinations and some sexual issues."

Visiting various dicasteries on Thursday was eye-opening. I don't know what I was expecting, but the priests and bishops leading each of the dicasteries were each equally competent, focused, passionate AND open, at ease, and approachable. 

The Dicastery for Inter-religious Dialogue's mission is to "foster unity in the human family." They acknowledge an attitude of tribalism from any group isn't helpful. It's okay and good to "cross boundaries, to experience other faiths and come back enriched." This dicastery's members are mindful of misinterpretations of their efforts. Bowing to a statue of Buddha is a sign of respect and not worship necessarily. They shared that the greatest tool for dialogue is normal human relationships.


(Outside the Dicastery for Interreligious Dialogue)


At times I regretted having only attended public schools and wish I knew as much about the faith as my home-schooled catechized-from-the-crib friends.  Meeting with the dicasteries affirmed that my childhood friendships with people of many different faiths is fully helpful and not missed time from the cloistered "Benedict Option." (BO, the notion that the general culture has declined, so lay Catholics ought to huddle and shun the world.) I was already thankful for the variety of people in my life, and I left this week more thankful.

We received books-worth of data this week about ecumenical progress made, but mostly I leave this week excited and at ease (free) to embrace the best elements of truth in other faiths - all of which the Catholic Church affirms.


(Meeting with the Dicastery for the Eastern Churches)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Church (C.Crowe)

 I am someone who has spent most of my life ‘un-churched’. I was raised Roman Catholic, and very involved in my church at university in the late 70’s. I listened to priests who were informed by ressourcement theologians. We were discovering a world of integrity beneath the hierarchies and the aesthetics.  It felt to me like a fresh breeze was blowing through the church. It was no longer something I attended or watched, but something I was engaged in. We chose our prayers with care, we opened our hearts, and we brought our sense of God’s presence into our daily lives. We discussed the Bible during service and baked our own bread for the Eucharist. It was deeply meaningful. But when Pope John Paul II came to the papacy and pulled back on all that openness, I felt betrayed. I felt particularly that women had been shut out. Not by God – but by the church. I never stopped feeling God’s presence in my life, praying for insight and offering gratitude, but my idea of what ‘church’ w...

Week 1 - Christian Enlightenment

Apse Mosaic of St. Paul’s Outside the Wall   As I reflect on Ecumenical and interreligious movements in Rome after having visited Churches dedicated to two great pillars of Christianity : St Paul and St. Peter, the patron saints of Rome, I can only ponder on their remarkable witness to Chrisitanity. Long before modern ecumenical movements, Paul was already living this spirit of unity. Through God's grace, he cultivated dialogue; dialogue to different beliefs and cultures spreading Christianity to the Mediterranean world, a journey which culminated in Rome; Paul resolutely proclaimed Christ and laid the foundations of a universal Church.  Saint Paul Outside the Walls Interestingly, I had the opportunity to visit Malta before beginning this course. What a delight it was to discover its ancient archeology and historical heritage. From megalithic temples of Malta (the oldest in the world) to the Bonze age, Roman rule, Byzantine, Arab, Norman, the Knights of Saint John, Ottomans, F...

Welcome students!

Dean Skira invites you to join the Rome trip 2026 blogspot. This will be the place where you can post your reflections of weekly readings and your experiences during your excursions. The goal is to share your experiences with others in our community and university. Please include your photos and you’re encouraged to respond to each other’s posts.