Skip to main content

Week 2 - Christian Unity at the Service of Mission

St. Peter's Baldachin (Bronze Canopy)

 As I try to reflect on this week's broad survey of Vatican II initiatives, including our visits from different areas, I find myself returning to my initial blog discussion on St. Peter and St. Paul, since we have celebrated their Solemnity at St. Peter's Basilica on June 29. I am grateful to have written on these two saints beforehand, since Pope Leo's homily had elements I had already reflected upon: the inclusion of the Gentiles (Acts 15), the guidance of the Holy Spirit, Paul's conversion, both as builders of Christian unity. As the Holy Father remarked, "In them, we venerate two pillars of the Church" and we, in turn, are called to become agents of unity. 


The celebration at Saint Peter's also highlights a continuation of the Apostolic ministry through the Pope and the archbishops such as in the rite of the pallia. The archbishops were gifted with the pallia from the hands of Pope Leo as a symbol of pastoral unity and their mission as "Good Shepperd". I keep a good memory of this celebration beautifully organized for such an immense crowd. We were offered a soft-covered celebration booklet containing the Mass and its sacred chants. Everything was carried out pristinely and concluded within two hours !  

Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul - Paullium Mass



This week Centro Pro Unione brought us to Vatican II, the turning point of the Catholic Church's ecumenical journey. This became essential to the church's mission. What began with simple dialogue and initial encounters with other Christian from other Churches has now matured into theological dialogues fostering continual relationships. Consequently, the Church from various Protestant denominations and Eastern Churches were invited to attend and eventually different dicasteries emerged. The class was grateful to visit the Dicastery for Promoting Christian Unity created by Pope John XXIII in 1960. During our visits, we also visited the Dicastery for Interreligious Dialogue, established by Pope Paul VI in 1964; the Dicastery for the Eastern Churches, founded by Pope Benedict XV in 1917; and the Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development, created by Pope Francis in 2016.


Dicastery for the
Eastern Churches

Dicastery for the
Eastern Churches
Dicastery for Promoting
Christian Unity











Dicastery for Promoting
Integral Human Development

Dicastery for the
Eastern Churches
















Moving on with reflections on Vatican II documents, Unitatis Redintegratio affirms "The restoration of unity among all Christians is one of the principal concerns of the Second Vatican Council. Christ the Lord founded one Church and one Church only." This remains foundational since there is a new shift in perspective now focusing on the People of God for unity rather than asking everyone to "return" to the Catholic Church. 


Another significant document is Lumen Gentium presenting the Church in pilgrimage as the People of God which, together with Ad Gentes, defines the church not as a static entity residing on its heritage but on one that has a missionary activity. This mission flows from the Father's plan, to the mission of the Son and that of the Holy Spirit who sends forth the church. I recall that the word missio literally means "to send". The church then goes forth and spreads the Gospel.



Eye of Providence
baptistery of the
Basilica of Santa
Maria Maggiore





Saint Peter's tomb
under St. Peter's Basilica
 










Moreover, the church mission can be best described as Luke 4 when Jesus proclaims:

good news to the poor, 

freedom for captives, 

sight for the blind, 

liberation for the oppressed, 

and the proclamation of the Lord's favor. 


This mission give us the task of working for justice, peace and the responsible care of Creation. I now realize how the mission is important since it is the continuation of Christ's work. Such missionary activity reminds me of Mark 2:27, when Jesus declared: "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." In other words, the Church is not there to bind people to rigid legalistic traditions but to serve and proclaim the Gospel with mercy and compassion. This alludes to Dr Aaron Hollander who said that Christian unity is not an end in itself but should serve the mission of the Church. Again, the priority is the mission. Thus we are united in one Body of Christ to pursue God's saving plan in continuation of Christ's work and ministry.


Papal Basilica of
Saint Mary Major
 

Papal Basilica of
Saint Mary Major
 



Roma San Pietro
railway station

Tiber River
near Castel Sant'Angelo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Church (C.Crowe)

 I am someone who has spent most of my life ‘un-churched’. I was raised Roman Catholic, and very involved in my church at university in the late 70’s. I listened to priests who were informed by ressourcement theologians. We were discovering a world of integrity beneath the hierarchies and the aesthetics.  It felt to me like a fresh breeze was blowing through the church. It was no longer something I attended or watched, but something I was engaged in. We chose our prayers with care, we opened our hearts, and we brought our sense of God’s presence into our daily lives. We discussed the Bible during service and baked our own bread for the Eucharist. It was deeply meaningful. But when Pope John Paul II came to the papacy and pulled back on all that openness, I felt betrayed. I felt particularly that women had been shut out. Not by God – but by the church. I never stopped feeling God’s presence in my life, praying for insight and offering gratitude, but my idea of what ‘church’ w...

Week 1 - Christian Enlightenment

Apse Mosaic of St. Paul’s Outside the Wall   As I reflect on Ecumenical and interreligious movements in Rome after having visited Churches dedicated to two great pillars of Christianity : St Paul and St. Peter, the patron saints of Rome, I can only ponder on their remarkable witness to Chrisitanity. Long before modern ecumenical movements, Paul was already living this spirit of unity. Through God's grace, he cultivated dialogue; dialogue to different beliefs and cultures spreading Christianity to the Mediterranean world, a journey which culminated in Rome; Paul resolutely proclaimed Christ and laid the foundations of a universal Church.  Saint Paul Outside the Walls Interestingly, I had the opportunity to visit Malta before beginning this course. What a delight it was to discover its ancient archeology and historical heritage. From megalithic temples of Malta (the oldest in the world) to the Bonze age, Roman rule, Byzantine, Arab, Norman, the Knights of Saint John, Ottomans, F...

Welcome students!

Dean Skira invites you to join the Rome trip 2026 blogspot. This will be the place where you can post your reflections of weekly readings and your experiences during your excursions. The goal is to share your experiences with others in our community and university. Please include your photos and you’re encouraged to respond to each other’s posts.