Skip to main content

Fiesser: Week 3 (Catholic-Jewish Dialogue)

   How can the Catholic Church support interfaith dialogue with the Jewish community, while maintaining respectful religious identity, while recognizing the tensions of the past?

     The third week of Catholic Perspectives on Ecumenical and Interreligious Movements has focused on dialogue between the Catholic Church and the people of the Jewish faith.  We reflected on the historical and cultural origins we share that are quite unique.  Without the Torah, Catholics lose the foundation of our faith.  Respectfully, Prof. Hollander explained that the Catholic Church shares a deep history with the Jews that provides a deeper meaning or purpose for our lives here on Earth. It is through these shared texts that we seek the truth of our salvation and why Christ died for us.  Our God is the same, and so we must treat one another with dignity, kindness, and respect.  We are brothers and sisters of  God.  By taking time to get to know the Jewish faith and their traditions, Catholics give witness to our own faith.  

The Jewish Museum of Rome and Synagogue  

  The Jewish Museum of Rome contains many historical documents, textiles and Torah scrolls to begin a rich interfaith discussion.   

Preserving Our Faith Origins                                                                                  

     During our time in the Jewish Ghetto, I found myself feeling gratitude toward the Jewish community for preserving the Torah and the sacred teachings from the Patriarchs: Abraham, Moses, and the early prophets. Jesus and his first disciples were Jewish. They first received the Old Testament from God. It is this foundation that provides Christianity with deeper meaning about God, creation, the Ten Commandments, and Christ’s prophesy.  We know the origins of our faith, long before Jesus was born, because of the Torah. I feel profound respect for this knowledge and understanding from God’s relationship with the Jews. One day, through continued interfaith dialogue, it is Christ’s wish that we pray together with one voice.  This has and will continue to be a challenge for both faiths, but I have hope that one day we will see greater communion, but until then, we listen to and respect each other’s differences by entering the synagogue in modest and respectful dress.

We remember to dress modestly upon entering the synagogue and synagogue museum next door.  
Interfaith dialogue begins with respectful gestures and understandings.

     The woven fabrics in the Jewish Ghetto were beautiful. I do needlepoint at home with floss.  Each of my children’s Christmas stockings took me a year.  I had a deep admiration for the application and stitching required to complete these decorative  woven textiles for the Torah. The silk, silver, and gold threads I saw would be so difficult to work with.  Each family had their own textiles for their home.  Many of the textiles were made 400-500 years ago.  I felt the sacredness and holiness of these textiles. Despite being 400-500 years old, I know it was well respected, as the embroidery looked like new.  I would love to begin an ecumenical discussion by sharing a love of embroidery with the Jewish community. This work would take a lifetime. A labour of great love for God, the Torah, and one’s faith community.

     

The Torah textiles in the Jewish Museum and Synagogue show a long history of family’s celebrating faith in their homes and synagogues, each family having their own patterns.

A Time to Reflect On The Past

     I must share that during my time in Rome, I have learned more about anti-Jewish persecution during the building of the Colosseum, the Crusades, and the Holocaust that left me feeling great sorrow for the past.  I found myself needing to retreat for deeper faith reflection and prayer.  There were many times my understanding of historical events had gaps filled where I lacked understanding.  I wondered, “How do I go on from here?”  The answer is continual respectful dialogue, with great love and discernment.  The work of interfaith dialogue is very difficult, because we were not there when these events occurred.  We cannot change the past. However, we can improve our understanding of our Catholic faith and traditions, to help us reach out and connect with others of different faiths.  

     Last month, I read Nostra Aetate (1965), written by Pope Paul VI, to improve the Catholic Church’s relationship with non-Christian religions.  I can see why the faithful required this framework to promote healing in a post-World War II global community.  As I walked through the Jewish Ghetto, I saw evidence of the past destruction and persecutions.  It was difficult but necessary for me to witness during my pilgrimage.

     While walking through the Jewish Ghetto, you will find 2” x 2” shiny brass plates with emotional memorials between the rough cobblestones from World War II.  I pause with a heavy heart in solemn prayer for those Jews arrested in their homes, and the killed in Auschwitz.  This visible remembrance of loved ones lost touched me in a way that my previous education of the war had not. 

     Amidst the grief, however, there are glimmers of hope.  This is a striped concentration camp uniform that once belonged to Lazzaro Anticoli, a Roman Jew, liberated in January 1945. His son donated his uniform to the Jewish Ghetto Museum in 1997.  I found myself standing in front of the striped uniform, looking at the buttons and threads, noticing how worn and faded the uniform was and the pain he must have felt while wearing it.  I think seeing this uniform up close helped me quiet my thoughts to try to grasp the war from one man’s individual story.  I think about the striped uniform and what it represents often.  

       “He who does not love, does not know God.”

                                                         1 John 4:8

     As we were leaving the Jewish Ghetto, one thing I wondered about is how the community feels about the early Christian fresco in the Piazza Gerusalemme. I would begin the interfaith dialogue with a quiet listening ear, to show empathy and support for past traumas, in order to promote peace for the common good of the community.  

 The painting of the Crucifixion is a reminder that the Jews were forced to attend conversion sermons during the 16th century, on the Sabbath.  True faith cannot be coerced, it must develop over time from one’s free will.  Faith can never be forced, or it is not true faith.  How can we say we live the gospel if we force others to convert?  This is concerning when I see our institutions forcing conversions.  Interfaith dialogue requires the need to support others in exploring their faith and choosing for themselves. We need to protect the values of others.

Hope for the Future

     Before leaving the Jewish Ghetto on Tuesday afternoon, I went to the Pasticceria Boccione bakery.  It has been in business since 1815.  The pastries were the best I have ever tasted.  It’s a joy to see this thriving business in the Jewish Ghetto.  It gave me great hope for a better future.  Although you may not see it in these pictures, the Italian police and army were very visible in the Jewish Ghetto, maintaining peace in these sensitive communities throughout Rome.

Ecumenism of the Stomach

     Crostata is a wonderful pastry that promotes ecumenism of the stomach.  Cultural food and hospitality are wonderful ways to bring people together, who may have different religious or political views of the world around them.  How can people be divided when they are sharing a meal together? 

  Biscotti, dried pumpkin seeds, apricot twists, and Jewish fruit pizza were some of the delicious treats in the Jewish bakery.

     I believe learning about your own faith identity is very important to establish first, before participating in interfaith dialogue with another person.  I also think understanding the history and problems of the past creates great empathy and motivation to find common ground to begin ecumenical discussion.  It’s difficult to apologize for the past problems you were not directly a part of, but kind gestures and deep listening can promote reconciliation and healing.  It also opens the door for future dialogue as well.  Who are we to judge others?  We are here to love one another.  

Enjoying a lovely Jewish dinner with our fellow students in our Catholic Perspectives on Ecumenical Movement and Inter-religious Movements, at Renato al Ghetto in the Jewish Ghetto, in Rome. 

Apostles Peter and Paul implore the Christian faithful to “maintain good fellowship among the nations” (1 Peter 2:12) and, if possible, to live for their part in peace with all men so that they may truly be sons of the Father who is in heaven.”

                                                         Nostra Aetate(5)

Bibliography

Catholic Church. "Declaration on the Relation of the Church to Non-Christian Religions: Nostra Aetate." October 28, 1965. The Holy See. Accessed July 8, 2026. https://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651028_nostra-aetate_en.html.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Church (C.Crowe)

 I am someone who has spent most of my life ‘un-churched’. I was raised Roman Catholic, and very involved in my church at university in the late 70’s. I listened to priests who were informed by ressourcement theologians. We were discovering a world of integrity beneath the hierarchies and the aesthetics.  It felt to me like a fresh breeze was blowing through the church. It was no longer something I attended or watched, but something I was engaged in. We chose our prayers with care, we opened our hearts, and we brought our sense of God’s presence into our daily lives. We discussed the Bible during service and baked our own bread for the Eucharist. It was deeply meaningful. But when Pope John Paul II came to the papacy and pulled back on all that openness, I felt betrayed. I felt particularly that women had been shut out. Not by God – but by the church. I never stopped feeling God’s presence in my life, praying for insight and offering gratitude, but my idea of what ‘church’ w...

Week 1 - Christian Enlightenment

Apse Mosaic of St. Paul’s Outside the Wall   As I reflect on Ecumenical and interreligious movements in Rome after having visited Churches dedicated to two great pillars of Christianity : St Paul and St. Peter, the patron saints of Rome, I can only ponder on their remarkable witness to Chrisitanity. Long before modern ecumenical movements, Paul was already living this spirit of unity. Through God's grace, he cultivated dialogue; dialogue to different beliefs and cultures spreading Christianity to the Mediterranean world, a journey which culminated in Rome; Paul resolutely proclaimed Christ and laid the foundations of a universal Church.  Saint Paul Outside the Walls Interestingly, I had the opportunity to visit Malta before beginning this course. What a delight it was to discover its ancient archeology and historical heritage. From megalithic temples of Malta (the oldest in the world) to the Bonze age, Roman rule, Byzantine, Arab, Norman, the Knights of Saint John, Ottomans, F...

Welcome students!

Dean Skira invites you to join the Rome trip 2026 blogspot. This will be the place where you can post your reflections of weekly readings and your experiences during your excursions. The goal is to share your experiences with others in our community and university. Please include your photos and you’re encouraged to respond to each other’s posts.